WHAT DRAMA AGAINST WATFORD! ...
- ... the win was the most important
thing, of course
- it ended our run of 5 successive defeats in all competitions
- and also our sequence of 8 games without a win in all comps
- it was our first 3-goal haul of the
season in the League
- and those goals took us to over 4,300 in our Top
- we're now on 4,302 to be precise!
- and we're also now up to 50 goals in the League, home and away,
- that's from just 21 League games against them!
- our overall record against the Hornets continues to be fab!
- at Goodison in all competitions it is W11 D1 L0
- in the League at home it's W10 D1 L0 and in the Prem at our
place it is W4 D1 L0
- and overall in the Prem Watford remain (on a points/game basis)
2nd favourite ever opponents!
- we've now played 6 games in the League at home this season
- and we've drawn 0 of them - W3 D0 L3!
- the last time we got that far into a season without a home League
draw was in 1993/94
- we were W3 D0 L3 in that season too - and then moved on to W3
- before we finally drew in our 8th home League game!
- Watford's goals against us meant another game without a clean
- we've now gone 10 matches without one home and away in all competitions!
- the last time that happened was in a run of 12 games conceding
goals from Nov
- we've also kept 0 clean sheets in our last 10 League games,
home and away!
- that also last happened in Nov 2014-Jan 2015 - a run of 11 League
games that time
- the win against Watford was our first on Bonny
Night since a 1-0
victory over Blackburn in 1995
- since then we'd played 4 November 5th games and lost them all!
- the Watford game was a statty paradise, to be honest!
- it was the 1st time we've EVER won after drawing 0-0 at half-time
and then being 2 goals down in the 2nd
- the first time ever!
- it was also our 1st home game in the Premier League with a 4.30pm
- the last time we kicked off at that time at Goodison came way
back in March 1956
- that was a 2-0
win against Cardiff
- the game kicked off later than usual to avoid clashing with
that day's Grand National at Aintree
- incidentally, racing fans, it was the famous 'Devon Loch' National!
- the Watford game was goalless in the first half and then had
5 goals in the 2nd half, of course
- the last time that happened at Goodison in a League game was
back in October 1986
- the opponents then were ..... Watford
and we won 3-2!
- and it was another daft game!
- both sides netted a penalty apiece
- Derek Mountfield scored a hat-trick - 2 for us and an own goal
- and he also gave away the Watford penalty!
- the win against Watford was the first time we'd overturned a
2-0 deficit to win at Goodison since May 1994
- that time around it happened in the famous Great
Escape game against Wimbledon, you'll remember!
- and let's talk about penalties now, shall we!
- the match was the first time that there has ever been 2 penalties
in injury time in an Everton game!
- and Tom Cleverley was the first player to miss one in an Everton/Watford
fixture, wherever played!
- before his dramatic miss there had been 7 previous spot-kicks
(5 to us & 2 to them) - all scored
- and that includes Leighton Baines's effort a few minutes before
- that pressure penalty by Bainesy was a milestone spot-kick
- it was his 24th penalty success for us from 27 taken in all
- and he's now moved out on his own at the top of our 'Most
Penalties Scored' chart!
- Leighton is now 1 ahead of both David Unsworth on 23 (from 26
taken) and Trevor Steven 23 (from 29)
- the penalty was also the 300th
we've scored at home in our competitive history!
- Tom Cleverley's poor effort, on the other hand, was also a significant
- it was the 150th missed or saved (by us or our opponents) in
all of our home League games ever
- and it was the 50th opposition pen to be missed or saved in
all competitive games at our place!
- Leighton Baines made his 323rd League appearance for us against
- that puts him in 17th place alone on our All-Time
League Appearances list, 1 ahead of Graeme Sharp
- and Leighton's latest start was his 307th for us in the
- he's moved to joint 18th position with Tommy Wright on our All-Time
League Starts chart
- Phil Jagielka is now joint 26th with 1900s half-back Harry Makepeace
on that list on 284 games
- oh, and congraulations to Idrissa Gueye on his 50th start for
us in all competitions!
- also clocking up 50 was Wayne Rooney - 50 Premier League starts
for the club
- Wayne is now in 69th place on our Premier
League Starts chart
- Beni Baningime, on the other hand, made his first Premier Leaue
start for us in the Watford game!
- he's the 858th different person to start a game for us in the
League, the 203rd in the Prem
- and Leighton Baines's goal was his 28th for us in the Premier
- he's now joint 9th with Tony Cottee on our Premier
League Scoring list
- and so on to Crystal Palace away on November 18th after the
- we've never played Palace on that date before
- but we did win on our last Nov 18 outing - 1-0
at home to Bolton in 2006
- a certain Sam Allardyce was the Trotters' manager at the time
- we haven't actually lost in any of our last 7 November 18th
matches - W3 D4 L0
- and we've won 3 and drawn 1 of the last 4!
- and our last away trip on that date was a very memorable one
- we won 2-1
at Liverpool in 1995, with Andrei Kanchelskis netting his
first 2 goals for the club!
- we beat Palace the last time we met them - 1-0
at Selhurst Park last January
- a certain Sam Allardyce was the Eagles' manager at the time
- we're unbeaten in our last 5 meetings with Palace - W2 D3 L0
- our last defeat against them was a 3-2
Goodison reverse in September 2014
- away from home we haven't lost to Palace since a 1-0
defeat in October 1994
- since then our record at their place, all in the Prem, is W4
- and overall in the Premier League our full record at Palace
is W5 D2 L1 - F10 A3
- on a points per game basis, that makes them our
favourite away Premier League opponents!
- compare that to our home record in the Prem against Palace
- W2 D2 L4
- very confusing!
- oh, and don't expect goals!
- our last 4 (unbeaten) visits to Selhurst Park have ended 1-0,
0-0, 1-0 and 0-0
- if he starts against Crystal Palace it will be Phil Jagielka's
342nd start for us in all competitions
- Phil would move to joint 23rd with legendary 1900s winger Jack
Sharp on our All-Time
- if Leighton Baines starts it will be his 308th start for us
in the League
- he would move to 18th place alone on our All-Time
League Starts chart, 1 ahead of Tommy Wright
- no other full-back will have started as many League matches
- if he does play it will also be Leighton's 40th consecutive
appearance for us in the Premier League
- that's only happened on 19
previous occasions by Everton players
- Tim Howard has the record with 210 successive Prem games for
us from Sep 2007 to Feb 2013
- Leighton himself is 3rd on the list with a 99-match run in the
Prem from Oct 2009 to Apr 2012
- and will Bainesy score again?!
- if he does, he will join Kevin Mirallas and Paul Rideout on
29 Premier League goals for the club
- they'll be in joint 7th position on our Premier
League Scoring chart
- if we don't win at Palace
that will be 0 victories in our first 6 away Premier League matches
- the last time we had an away League start that bad was in 2003/04
- we won 0 of our first 7 away League games in that season!
- and if we fail to score against the Eagles we will have notched
up just 2 away League goals in 6 games
- that would be our worse return in the season's first 6 away
Prem matches since 2005/06
(also 2 in 6)
- if we don't win at Palace it will take our run without an away
victory to 10 games in all competitions
- that would be our worst since February to August 2013 (also
- even worse, it would extend our run without an away League
win to 14 games
- we haven't managed that since a 19-match run from December 1996
to December 1997!
- our last away victory in the Premier League was back in January
- 1-0 at ..... Crystal
- if, once again, we don't keep a clean sheet it will be 11 games
without one in all comps,
home and away
- the last time that happened was in a run of 12 games without
one from Nov
- it would also mean 0 clean sheets in our last 11 League games,
home and away!
- that also last happened in Nov 2014-Jan 2015 - a run of 11 League
games too on that occasion
- just away from home, no clean sheet this time would be 10 games
on the run without one in all comps
- that hasn't happened since a similar poor run in Sep
- a draw at Palace, by the way, would be the 600th away from home
our League history!
- Roy Hodgson is the latest Crystal Palace manager (we can talk!)
- assuming he hasn't been sacked (!) he'll be managing a team
against us for the 13th time in the Prem
- that will move him to joint 18th place on the 'Most
Games Managed Against Us in the Prem chart!
- he'll be level with Peter Reid and David O'Leary on a list that
is headed by Arsene Wenger on 43
- Palace will also be the 5th different club he's managed against
us in all competitions!
- he's previously been the boss of Blackburn, Fulham, Liverpool
and West Brom in matches with Everton
- he'll move to equal 5th on the 'Most
Clubs Managed Against Us list!
- Ron Atkinson is top of that chart having managed 7 different
clubs in all comps against Everton!
- they were: Cambridge, West Brom, Man Utd, Sheff Wed, Aston Villa,
Coventry and Nott'm Forest
- in just League games, Woy will be up to joint 3rd on the 'Most
Clubs Managed Against Us in the League list!
- and on the 'Most
Clubs Managed Against Us in the Prem chart, Hodgson will move
to joint 2nd
- he'll be level with Mark Hughes and Harry Redknapp, all having
managed 5 times against us in the Prem
- Sam Allardyce (him again!) is top of that chart having managed
6 clubs against us in the Prem
- they were Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland
and Crystal Palace
- will there be any more penalty drama in the Palace match?!
- a penalty for either team would be the 100th
in all of our away Premier League games
- so far 77 have been scored (30 by us) and 22 missed or saved
(9 by us)!
- a missed or saved penalty by either side would be the 300th
in our League history, home and away
- and it would be the 150th unsuccessful spot-kick by either team
in all of our away League matches
- and if Palace fail with a pen it will be the 100th unconverted
by all of our opponents in away League games
- the match at Selhurst Park is a Saturday away game with a 3.00pm
- we haven't had one of them since the 0-0
draw at West Ham last April!
- our recent record in Saturday away games (whatever the kick-off
time) is W1 D3 L6 in our last 10 matches
- the only win in those 10 was at ..... Crystal
Palace, 1-0, last January!
- in 3.00pm Saturday matches, home and away, our recent record
is good - W8 D2 L1 in the last 11
- just away from home however, it's not that great - W1 D3 L2
in the last 6
- the referee at Palace will be Anthony Taylor
- in his last 5 Everton appointments away from Goodison our record
is W1 D0 L4
- and that includes the 2-1
FA Cup Semi-Final defeat against Man Utd at Wembley in April
- but the links with that 1-0 January victory at Selhurst Park
- the 1 win in those 5 most recent Everton Taylor appointments
outside of Goodison was that success at Palace!
- a reminder of some new sections on the site!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 27 different players last season in all competitions
and 19 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
- Ademola Lookman scored on his Everton debut last season
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- with Wayne Rooney having returned to Everton action, who else
has had 2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- new boy Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some
years to come
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
Phil Jagielka needs 2 more appearances to reach
300 for us in the Premier League - so far he's made 284 starts
+ 14 as a sub